The Privilege of Stories

I will always be grateful for the privilege of stories.

For reminders of the resistance to conformity... resistance to "the sacred bull, form" (Anzaldua, p. 167).

Anzaldua says sardonically, about writing, "Above all, do not be
Simple,
Direct,
Immediate."

Speaking to herself, a self-proclaimed "Third World Woman," resisting the dominating ways of whiteness.
I worried if that means my literariness, says Schreiner (1997) - my middle class-ness, European-American education-shaped writer-ness is, then, too complex, abstract, remote -
Undesirable.
Or simply worth resisting? 

And, what is the point to writing, anyway?

In my African Literature class last summer, I often wondered what the hell I was studying. More the effects of colonization than of any particular brand of writing, besides severe grief, anguish, lostness, pain. Of European norms pissing all over perfectly sufficient cultures. White-washing. The pushing of converts to their new spiritual mecca-Europe, only to realize they were still orphans. Plighted prostitution at best.

Feminism, Womanism, would have had its way, of course, on its own. But this newly reified way of speaking - English - this new layer of war - the war on tongues - a new avenue for patriarchy, even as much, in how the publishers became men and again non-women - silenced something else.

Because writing is not always for someone else.

Then, she says herself that writing is distancia:
"writing is a tool for piercing that mystery but it also shields us, gives us a margin of distance, helps us survive" (p. 169).

I teach so that I do not waste my life. I write so that I remember who I am. Infinite, star-like.
Not only inside this body.
Somewhere distant
too.

"The problem is to focus, to concentrate," (p. 170)
Lest we be "meat
thrown at the feet
of madness or fate
or the state."

Thank God Flynn (2011) finally had something that resonated with me: that readers and writers' workshops are faultily "progressive." She says: "the needs of students of color are not met with such student-centered, choice-based teaching" (p. 28). If the goal is to be as transparent as my soul is raw already, surviving off this choice-career called teaching, thank God for those who are directing MY path with their own lucid glows. 



Thinking outside of the box. Two of my good friends from college who remain part of a book club which meets once every few months are high school English teachers in St. Louis Park and St. Paul. I'd like to include them as resources, because they should be, for me, going into this career as a rookie, and them as veterans by this point. I enjoy reading their blogs for ideas, things to think about, stories to learn from, a way to feel that I'm not alone. Introducing: Ms. Ouverson, & Ms. Noble.

Comments

  1. Brittany:') I don't even know where to start. I don't really have much to add/challenge/question in response to your beautiful blog, but I wanted to finally interact with you in these weekly blogs since I typically have been replying early on Fridays to Kayla's. You are a stunning writer and I almost felt like you emulated Anzaldua's beautiful piece in your blog. Did you do that on purpose? When I read Anzaldua's writing this week, I immediately thought about how powerful it would be to have our own students read her words, and then perhaps write their own version that emulates her poetic style. And your like to All the Stars -- ugh!!!!! I have been so obsessed with that song and it so beautifully pairs with Anzaldua and your post this week! You go girl! FINALLY, OMG I want to be friends with your friends! Their blogs are amazing and I would love to meet them. It made me feel inspired to start my own blog ~for real~ when I begin teaching next year. Do their students or administrators know about the blogs? I feel like we've been pretty deeply intimidated about our social media presence so I'm curious how they have these blogs publicly. Thanks for sharing your brain with me, ily!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts